SUMMARY OF PRINCIPAL & MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: The Director of Communications is the representative of Visit Corpus Christi for all external stakeholder communications and local media relations. The Director of Communications is responsible for media relationships and engagement of Visit Corpus Christi with primary responsibilities focused on strategic public relations tactics, excellent media relations, on-camera interviews, email communications, scriptwriting, and strategic direction of positioning the organization and tourism industry as a community shared value to stakeholders and residents.
The Director of Communications will work under the direction of the Vice President of Marketing with a close working relationship with the CEO, as well as collaborate across departments to position Corpus Christi as a premiere leisure and meetings destination.
PAY STATUS: EXEMPT: Biweekly salary.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Essential Functions):
- Represent Visit Corpus Christi to local news media as well as the general public.
- Maintain strong relationships and foster new relationships with Corpus Christi media to secure positive exposure of the organization and tourism industry.
- Develop and execute strategic PR plans and materials (press releases, story pitches, editorial content and other written material as needed).
- Produce and manage executive communications including, but not limited to monthly organizational reporting, press releases, media pitches, CEO communications, community presentations and speaking engagements.
- Lead ongoing communication efforts in stakeholder communications.
- Develop and collaborate in op-ed pieces by industry leaders, particularly the President & CEO.
- Script on-message speaking points for appearances before stakeholders or journalists.
- Strategize and execute Visit Corpus Christi and tourism industry related proactive local media outreach.
- Assist Visit Corpus Christi Executive Leadership and departments with media relations, speaking engagements and communication initiatives.
- Navigate and provide counsel on potentially difficult positions, political climate and media conversations.
- Manage the Visit Corpus Christi crisis communications plan and its Crisis Response Team.
- Ensure Visit Corpus Christi’s reputation among media, stakeholders and partners remains the best possible.
- Attend public functions, including representing Visit Corpus Christi by serving as an emcee, moderator, host, representative or other spotlight role to highlight the organization in front of stakeholders and sponsors.
- Constantly monitor key news media to collect any information pertinent to the organization and industry to share information within the company as appropriate.
- Work across the organization’s departments including Administration, Marketing, Destination Sales, Sports, Film & Music, Experience and the Visitor Info Center.
- Collaborate with hospitality partners on media missions, familiarization tours, events (media events, press conference, etc.) and other platforms.
- Collaborate with leisure marketing and communications on media pitching and writing projects.
- Manage and contribute to the digital media portal, editorial image library, b-roll and other media resources.
- Collaborate with Marketing & Communications department in managing PR agencies, freelancers, photographers, and other external resources as needed.
- Collaborate with Marketing & Communications team with tracking key performance measures such as earned media value, media hosted and media placements; assist with reporting.
- Manage budgets and expenses while ensuring timely processing of invoices for multiple, concurrent projects.
- Perform related duties and fulfill responsibilities as required.
- Ability to travel for tradeshows and conferences (less than 15%)
- Any other duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent reasoning, problem-solving and strategic thinking skills
- Highly effective at communicating orally and in writing to a range of audiences.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong project management skills with ability to juggle multiple projects at once.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to look for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ability to make decisions, exhibit sound and accurate judgment and make timely decisions.
- Ability to anticipate and solve practical problems and resolve issues.
- Ability to foster a collaborative work environment with co-workers, managers and external partners.
- Ability to plan, develop and coordinate multiple projects.
- Ability to communicate clearly and demonstrate group presentation skills and high ethical standards.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Proficient in technology and ability to use a CRM platform.
Education, Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Business, Marketing, or related field.
- At least five years of related communications leadership experience required.
- In-depth experience with writing in APA format.
- In-depth experience speaking on camera.
- Microsoft Office Suite, Media listening tools including Cision, CRM.
Equipment to be Used and Operated
- Telephone; Computer; Fax machine; Copy machine; Postage machine; and Scanner.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for extended periods of time. Shall be able to apply 20 lbs. of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Must be able to view computer screen for extended period of time.
Must be able to work in a fast paced and customer service-oriented environment; to perform duties under pressure and meet deadlines in a timely manner; to work as part of a team as well as to complete assignments independently; to take instructions from supervisors; to exercise problem-solving skills; and to interact with co-workers, supervisors, customers and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
Must learn and comply with all organization safety rules; must always use appropriate safety equipment; must immediately report all unsafe condition to supervisors; must be familiar with all safety features or equipment, machinery, or materials encompassed by job duties; and must check with supervisor if there is a question as to the safe procedure to be used for any job function.
Employees must fulfill the performance standards of this position and comply with policies, rules and procedures of the organization, including those set out in the Employee Handbook or otherwise communicated (verbally or in writing) to employees.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and work responsibilities of the position. This job description and the duties of this position are subject to change, modification and addition as deemed necessary by the organization. Employees are required to comply with supervisory instructions and perform other job duties, responsibilities and assignments requested by supervisors, managers or other organization officials. The job responsibilities of this position may include cross-training in other functions or positions to ensure satisfactory operation of the department or work area.
This job description does not constitute an employment contract between the organization and any employee.
VISIT CORPUS CHRISTI VISION
To become the Gulf Coast Capital for coastal and outdoor recreational experiences
VISIT CORPUS CHRISTI MISSION
Creating a better community by sharing Corpus Christi with the world
VISIT CORPUS CHRISTI VALUES
We are Innovative leaders who are Not Afraid to Fail
We Trust and Support each other
We appreciate every Person and their contribution
We are Proud of our People and our Destination
We are Proactive, Responsive and Always One Step Ahead
We are Transparent and hold ourselves Accountable